At Lost My Name, we're making the most technically ambitious physical books ever invented. We’re making storybooks magical for a new generation by creating impossible stories on a timeless medium, like a story that is created entirely out of a child’s name or making a book with NASA images and the world's first book that shows your own neighbourhood, your own street, your own house(!) in a book made especially for you. Oh, and speaking of NASA, we’d like to take this opportunity to brag that Tim Peake read Our Incredible Intergalactic Journey Home in actual space.
We write, illustrate, build, design, and sell all of our products directly, and have a team working to produce our wonderful products spanning from Art Directors to Dev Ops. We have sold more than 2.5 million books, games and posters in over 200 countries, and we’re just getting started! With the work you’ll do here with us, we’d like to think we’re on track towards becoming the UK’s most admired creative company.
Our products are becoming ever more personalised, feature rich and technically complex. We need a talented, front end engineer to help us build the most magical book shop in the world.
You’ll be a key hire within our Shop dev team, working alongside other engineers, designers and producers to make kids smile and our products pop. You’ll be engineering for scale our global business demands while caring about the little details.
Engineering at Lost My Name
At Lost My Name we take our engineering seriously. We empower teams to make their own decisions and choose the best tools for the job. There is no mandated stack and while we work together to make smart decisions, we prefer creativity over conformity. Each team supports their stack end-to-end, from design to scale to uptime. We make sure each system has clear contracts with no hand-offs.
As for technology we choose tooling suitable for the domain. For example we build our website using Nodejs & React. We create declarative, functional components that are reused across the site. Our ecommerce system is built using the open source Solidus project, written in Ruby. We actively contribute open source code, especially in Solidus (we employ developers who are on the core team). Our product rendering is an exciting and complex mixture of tooling and languages, reflecting the demands of our complex products, pushing the modern web stack into publishing tech.
Together we form a talented team of individuals mixing gender, experience and domain expertise. We believe the best engineers never stop learning so we have a training/conference budget, make time to improve our stack outside of product roadmap demands, host internal Lunch & Learn sessions and sync disciplines across teams.
What you'll be doing
- Collaborate with engineers, designers and products to deliver new features and experiences for our website
- Contribute to the design and architecture of our ecommerce stack
- Identify and deliver improvements to speed, quality and efficiency - be that in page rendering, build improvements, more specs or more efficient hosting
- Working with tech including Node.js, React and Redux
- Work with our BI team to get the data you need to deliver improvements to conversion, speed, quality and efficiency - be that in page rendering, build improvements or A/B tests
- Build for ever increasing numbers of users, products and transactions
A bit about you
- You have a love for beautifully crafted products that delight people
- A deep understanding and thirst for ever more knowledge of the modern web stack
- Have a desire to learn and contribute to all our stacks
- Enjoy pairing with other engineers, contributing to joint design sessions and reviewing your peers work
- Always thinking of new directions and improvements we can take based on data, and be able to articulate your ideas to the team
Why join Lost My Name?
- You’ll get a sweet, SWEET training budget. £1k to attend whichever conference or training you’d like, wherever you like. Or you could learn some Spanish in Dalston, it's your call
- We offer Yoga class every Monday night; just one of the many ways we keep centred and calm, despite the (occasional) chaos of startup life
- We also have massages if yoga isn’t your thing, for everyone who wants one on Fridays. If you like neither yoga, nor massages (hey, they aren’t for everyone) we also offer mental health support through Sanctus, where you can speak to a wellness coach about how you’re doing
- We have an office Sauna
- We also provide a private healthcare plan, a pension plan and childcare vouchers (according to your plans) to show you we care
- We have heaps of snacks. Like, so many snacks. And you can always suggest your favourite new ones to be added to our shopping trolley
- Speaking of food: Team lunches. We nearly forgot team lunches. Every Thursday our Studio Manager, Shim, orders some super delish food from somewhere in London and we gorge ourselves. It sounds intense, but it's actually quite chill
- Our office is full of puppies.