At Lost My Name, we're making the most technically ambitious physical books ever invented. We’re making storybooks magical for a new generation by creating impossible stories on a timeless medium, like a story that is created entirely out of a child’s name or making a book with NASA images and the world's first book that shows your own neighbourhood, your own street, your own house in a book made especially for you. Oh, and speaking of NASA, we’d like to take this opportunity to brag that Tim Peake read Our Incredible Intergalactic Journey Home in actual space.
We write, illustrate, build, design, and sell all of our products directly, and have a team working to produce our wonderful products spanning from Art Directors to Dev Ops. We have sold more than 2.5 million books, games and posters in over 200 countries, and we’re just getting started! With the work you’ll do here with us, we’d like to think we’re on track towards becoming the UK’s most admired creative company.
As our Lead Designer, you will be responsible for directing a talented team of graphic designers, artworkers, and photographers. Your team will be responsible for producing creative work for a variety of business partners, from marketing to product development. The work will consist of design and advertising work, from print collateral and digital advertising to fully-integrated campaigns.
Alongside the Creative Director, you’ll be leading the charge in continually raising the creative standards of the team. You’ll drive conceptual thinking and push beautiful design executions, whilst always delivering against commercial objectives.
You’ll be inspired and be inspiring – having a real passion for all things creative. You’ll have a natural urge to explore bigger and better ways to visually communicate. And your time management skills, coupled with general organisational skills, will be the envy of all those around you. You’ll be client-facing and comfortable presenting up to senior management.
In this role, you will report to the Creative Director and will work out of our bright & beautiful studio in Hackney.
What you'll be doing
- With the CD, lead a team of creatives across multiple disciplines including graphic design, photography, artworking and animation.
- Oversee the design and production of design across multiple platforms – print, digital, video and animation.
- Responsible for working with internal clients and stakeholders across multiple regions, ensuring work is on brief.
- Use a good awareness of design processes to question and challenge design briefs and solve design problems.
- Promote strategic thinking and commercial awareness.
- Be aware of current design trends and attitudes to help inspire the team.
- Work closely with the CD to promote ‘big concept’ thinking.
- Support Studio Management to assess and assign the right people to projects.
A bit about you
- 10+ years industry experience - some of which will have come from having worked at a reputable design, advertising or communications agency. We are looking for someone with rounded experience across all communication disciplines.
- Demonstrable experience working across a broad range of disciplines – print, digital, video and animation.
- Have worked on integrated marketing / advertising campaigns.
- Mentoring, nurturing, inspiring and motivating others will come naturally to you.
- Exceptional time management.
- Meticulous crafting and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Dedicated and passionate about design, ready to challenge the status quo with a view of evolving creative output.
- Recognised design degree.
Finally, over the course of many years, you’ll have developed a portfolio of conceptually strong and beautiful work that clearly demonstrates how your work answers commercial briefs across many disciplines – spanning both print and digital.
Why join Lost My Name
- You’ll get a sweet, SWEET training budget. £1k to attend whichever conference or training you’d like, wherever you like. Or you could learn some Spanish in Dalston, it's your call.
- We offer Yoga class every Monday night; just one of the many ways we keep centred and calm, despite the (occasional) chaos of startup life.
- We also have massages if yoga isn’t your thing, for everyone who wants one on Fridays. If you like neither yoga, nor massages (hey, they aren’t for everyone) we also offer mental health support through Sanctus, where you can speak to a wellness coach about how you’re doing.
- We have an office Sauna.
- We also provide a private healthcare plan, a pension plan and childcare vouchers (according to your plans) to show you we care.
- We have heaps of snacks. Like, so many snacks. And you can always suggest your favourite new ones to be added to our shopping trolley.
- Speaking of food: Team lunches. We nearly forgot team lunches. Every Thursday our Studio Manager, Shim, orders some super delish food from somewhere in London and we gorge ourselves. It sounds intense, but it's actually quite chill.
- Our office is full of puppies.