At Lost My Name, we're making the most technically ambitious physical books ever invented. We’re making storybooks magical for a new generation by creating impossible stories on a timeless medium, like a story that is created entirely out of a child’s name or making a book with NASA images and the world's first book that shows your own neighbourhood, your own street, your own house(!) in a book made especially for you. Oh, and speaking of NASA, we’d like to take this opportunity to brag that Tim Peake read Our Incredible Intergalactic Journey Home in actual space.
We write, illustrate, build, design, and sell all of our products directly, and have a team working to produce our wonderful products spanning from Art Directors to Dev Ops. We have sold more than 2.5 million books, games and posters in over 200 countries, and we’re just getting started! With the work you’ll do here with us, we’d like to think we’re on track towards becoming the UK’s most admired creative company.
It is the responsibility of the Product Services Squad based in our London Office to manufacture and ship the finished products. We have 14 kick ass factories dotted around the globe, manufacturing tons of kick ass products every day. Every day, all those products are shipped to customers in over 195 countries by over 35 different carriers.
We’re growing bonkers fast, expanding in many of the countries in which we operate, and we’re after an Operations Manager who can help us smash it when it comes to managing and developing the global carrier network.
What you'll be doing
- Help the Lost My Name Product Studio team design both components and finished products that can be scaled operationally.
- Carry out third party tenders to source components and negotiate the cost of those components.
- Sample finished components and / or finished products with factories.
- Calculate necessary stock holding of components, purchase, arrange shipping and get into factory locations on time to satisfy orders.
- Monitor factory operational KPI’s and SLA’s (e.g. speed of manufacturing, defect rates etc) and work with factories to correct any underperformance.
A bit about you
- Experience of managing third party operational relationships,
- Comfortable working to operational KPI’s and SLA’s
- Ideally experienced at working in a B2C e-commerce operations environment with significant demand spikes
- Demonstrable experience of working on concepts and then seeing those concepts through to successful operational delivery.
- Experience of the following would be very useful: product design, product labelling, safety certification, packaging design, making recommendations for process improvements in mass manufacturing.
- Excellent commercial skills, including but not limited to, ability to negotiate commercial terms, especially on purchases.
- Ability to evidence a history of negotiating and driving cost reductions.
- Able to support and drive tender processes.
- Can make commercial arguments / decisions based on numbers (very strong commercial reasoning).
- Experience of having made B2B purchase in USA and Asia would be beneficial (especially FOB purchases).
- Comfortable and confident working in a numbers driven environment.
- Can demonstrate a sound ability to analyse data in excel or google sheets.
- Ability to use SQL would be considered a bonus.
- Confident analysing data and then presenting management summaries on the back of that data. Can create and deliver presentations.
- Able to create and manage materials planning tools and or Ready Reckoners
- Confident introducing and / or working with critical path management tools.
- Physical operations (supply chain and manufacturing)
- Very solid understanding of how a fast moving, high volume, pick, pack and dispatch distribution centre (DC) or manufacturing plant (factory) operates is essential. This successful candidate will have a good working knowledge of the requirements of physical operations.
- Experienced at challenging third party operators on operational performance, and experienced at driving improvements in operational performance.
Why join Lost My Name?
- You’ll get a sweet, SWEET training budget. £1k to attend whichever conference or training you’d like, wherever you like. Or you could learn some Spanish in Dalston, it's your call.
- We offer Yoga class every Monday night; just one of the many ways we keep centred and calm, despite the (occasional) chaos of startup life.
- We also have massages if yoga isn’t your thing, for everyone who wants one on Fridays. If you like neither yoga, nor massages (hey, they aren’t for everyone) we also offer mental health support through Sanctus, where you can speak to a wellness coach about how you’re doing.
- We have an office Sauna.
- We also provide a private healthcare plan, a pension plan and childcare vouchers (according to your plans) to show you we care.
- We have heaps of snacks. Like, so many snacks. And you can always suggest your favourite new ones to be added to our shopping trolley.
- Speaking of food: Team lunches. We nearly forgot team lunches. Every Thursday our Studio Manager, Shim, orders some super delish food from somewhere in London and we gorge ourselves. It sounds intense, but it's actually quite chill.
- Our office is full of puppies!